[FRIAM] Get ready for Blockchain

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:41:37 EDT 2017

On 05/23/2017 12:05 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> CPU based mining is incredibly inefficient.

Right.  But the point is about the unintended social side effects of any given tech.  E.g. script kiddies trying to hijack your computer for mining because they don't understand as much about mining as they think they understand.  It's akin to underage people posting too much info about themselves, then suffering the consequences for the rest of their lives.

The decentralization rhetoric surrounding blockchain tech has been described as a ripe platform for right wing extremism.  It's related (more deeply than analogy, I think) to online bullying, fake news, sovereign citizenry, and a whole host of other bad outcomes, much of which relies on the intellectual foundations of libertarianism.

> Speaking of dumb criminals, what kind of moron goes after Ariane Grande fans?   This forces the social conservatives in the west to get behind a dazzling young feminist and engages all these young fans at an early age to realize that the impact ideology, religion, and politics can have on their lives.  ISIS is a little short on critical thinking skills, it seems!

Hm.  You sound like an optimist.  The more likely outcome is that more people end up believing we need a "strong man" like Trump or Erdogan to take the fight to the bad guys ... more military, less education, less healthcare, less science ... thereby granting the wishes of their authoritarian brethren in ISIS and the Taliban.

--
☣ glen