[FRIAM] Cautionary amazon tale

Gillian Densmore gil.densmore at gmail.com
Wed May 24 16:10:26 EDT 2017

This morning Amazon sent me (and probably others) a form email saying
basically Mea Culpta!

Acording to their email a former, miffed employe  was (trying to) set up
some sort of convoluted comically bad 're-acess system for guessing
customer wants and test our drone delivery system'
Ooops! the AI thought I'd reely like some store brand computer headset and
mp3 player plus some other inexpensive things.
A follow up email went on about how this person didn't get permision and
their AI is still in testing and company best practices is to keep it in a
sand box and they've now gone about putting even protections on customers
acounts that worker (or the AI " ") tried to use.

Yet another follow up email said because of all the emails and hastle this
fiasco's caused here's a voucher...and probably good idea to reset your
password.

-A google of the incident only came up with a few blurbs I don't know if
that's good or not
(Oh. What did someones dood dad do...this time.)
-Ooops!
-Sigh this can be what happens when a frustrated overly clever person makes
a nice tool but...Then gets impatient and all the bad things THAT leads to

I'm amused and impressed that Amazons skunkworks AI might be roughly child
levelish:  IE  Gee what happens when I push the big button that says don't
push the big red button!

lol and thanks guys for the store voucher! By the way reely clever person
that (used to) make their AI....this is why you leave expirmentally stuff
in a sandbox and keep saying to yourself: "when something goes wrong..."
(Fortunatly your bord bot didn't cause enormous problems.
.
"oops" is kinda akward start to a Mea Culpa! (having had MANY  "oops" and
"what's going to go wrong next?"  moments)

And to that bord bot and bord bot making person: Just curius why were you
up at 0300 my time anyway? oO

Just thought you guys might like and possibly learn a little from my
cautionary tale: What happens when a robot gets bord...

Enjoy the VERY awsome weather if you are on mIdguard/Terra NM province
UFFDA!!!