[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Thu May 25 00:25:14 EDT 2017

I'll buy the ones Steven Smith mentioned. But those are mainly weather and
related. I guess that could be generalized to weather and geology.

I don't see why formation of galaxies, stars and planets would be
considered a complex system phenomenon unless all of physics would be.

A vortex or hurricane or other dissipative system?

I'd rule out high speed trading since it's done with computers and works
only because it interacts with people trading.

All the examples I like (weather, etc.) are open systems that have energy
flowing through them. That often generates interesting phenomena. (As we
mentioned above dissipative systems <https://goo.gl/WGAZ9Q>.) Do you think
that's enough to qualify a system as complex? (I know, as Steve said, it's
a fuzzy term.) They all reflect "emergence" of some sort -- even though I
don't like that term these days. But they lack the quality of complexity
that we find in systems containing agents with some degree of autonomy.

Are there any non-biological, non-human, non-computer systems that would
qualify as consisting of autonomous agents?