[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 25 19:04:32 EDT 2017

Excellent!  Thanks for the clarification.  This seems (to me) to follow along with Kauffman's "agents", at least up to the working paper version of Investigations I have.  There, he suggests that a galaxy might be a collection of agents.  I prefer what (I think) Smolin suggests in The Life of the Cosmos, where the galaxies are the basic structural unit.  So, it makes more sense to me to think of galaxies as the agents.  But it's reasonable to think that the galaxies (what we think of when we use the term) are epiphenomenal and the underlying agency is more minimally defined by something else (black holes? or whatever constitutes dark matter/energy? gravitation itself?).  To satisfy your symbolic requirement, we'd have to identify the boundary.  To me, gravitation is inadequate (perhaps necessary but not sufficient).  But perhaps if we included inflation and the idea that inflation occurs all the time in various parts of the (unobservable) universe, then that light-cone type boundary would work?  Could inflationary bubbles ever interact in any way so that we could say they communicate with symbols?  I have no idea what I'm talking about, obviously. 8^)

Also, if you disambiguate "biology", it might help.  Would silicon analogs of organic compounds still be biology?  Would proto-biological processes count (perhaps we can build agents in RNAWorld)?

Ultimately, though, I think I'd answer your question with: No, I can't think of any agents that satisfy all your criteria, the most important of which is "non-biological".  Despite my persnickety objections to his works, I land with Rosen in his tight coupling of biology (life) with closure to efficient cause (aka "agency").

--
☣ glen