[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 25 19:57:03 EDT 2017

I agree for the most part.  But what M&V and Rosen (and to some extent Shrödinger, Turing, von Neumann, etc.) were trying to do is suss out the difference between living and inanimate systems.  And that's worthy.  You don't really need the "agent" concept for that work, though.  I tend to prefer the word "actor".  But that's polluted, too.

And you can't really write it off merely as a crude computational convenience, either.  The core idea (taken up by Penrose and the proofs-as-programs people, too!) is to settle the question of whether biology is doing something super-mechanical or non-mechanical ... at least non-algorithmic, if not non-computational.  It's not _all_ nonsense, though a lot of it is.

--
☣ glen