[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Fri May 26 19:54:05 EDT 2017

> Heh, you're not going to make an empathetic attempt to listen to Russ'
intent? 8^)

I am listening to Russ. I do think he's defining a sub-class of complex
systems (eg living systems). I would like to keep the definition of
"complex systems" broader than that though.

I understand the subtle distinction your trying to make. I would say the
full phase space of a *complex system* has narrow critical regimes in their
behavior (phase) space where *complex behavior* is observed as the control
parameters are swept through the phase transition. In the critical regime
we see complex behavior like sensitivity to initial conditions, critical
slowing down, critical fluctuations, power law statistics, long-range
correlations, etc. On either side of the phase transition (eg sub-critical
and super-critical) regimes, these statistics and behaviors are not present.

That said, while the critical regime may be narrow in phase space many of
these system "self-tune" to the critical point but that's another thread.

Agreed?

Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable