[FRIAM] Any non-biological complex systems?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun May 28 12:44:09 EDT 2017

Nick -

> S. G.,
>
> So, what constitutes a system is arbitrary?  In the mind of the beholder?
>
> I remember when we used to argue about this at The Complex.
>
> I always wanted to argue that a system is in some sense
> “self-bounding”.  It consists of a group of entities that are
> interacting more intimately with one another than they are with
> entities outside the system.

I think you answered your own question here?   The beholder (modeler?)
decides what dimensions of the system are important/relevant and then
chooses some coupling threshold or principle to separate the system from
it's suprasystem.  So not "arbitrary" but definitely "conditional"?  In
my LANL day job (decision support systems), the standard answer to every
question from a client (usually DC types) was "it depends", and a great
deal of our task was to help them decide what constraints and
assumptions they were willing/able to make on a "simple" question to get
down to a meaningfully answerable question where enough conditions were
made explicit.

It is the nature of reductionism to find and/or create subsystems of
subsystems to study in isolation, or with imaginary steady-state
inputs/boundary conditions.   Most models of refrigerators ignore things
like the quality of the waveform of the AC source driving the motor that
drives the compressor, and even the motor's characteristics itself...
the compressor is likely assumed to fire up and wind down
instantaneously (On/Off), etc.  The external thermal conditions
surrounding the refrigerator, similarly... at most probably an external
temperature which varies through the day in a consistent manner with no
thought or concern as to whether spikes in temperature come from weather
patterns or sunspot activity or someone leaving the AC running all day.

I'll bet YOUR AC is running all day!
  - Steve