[FRIAM] death

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:26:30 EDT 2017

Yes, you're right to classify the illusion of self along with Smith's preemptive registration, more insidious, I think, than premature registration.  Identifying an object as atomic lies at the heart of a lot of our problems.  We could just as easily call it a discretization artifact.  Here, the "continuous fluid self" shines the light on the fact that discretization problems arise in both time and space.  Unless you're willing to admit that, for example, your ancestors from 10 generations ago and 10 generations hence are *also* part of your self, then you've got to discretize "self" in time.  And unless you're willing to allow some anonymous African or Alpha Centaurian to also be part of your self, then you've got to discretize in space.

Such discretization is a great method *if* you've got a well-formed set of use cases to engineer toward.  But most conversations where "self" is bandied about willy nilly, a) the use cases aren't particular cases, at all, they're more like usage patterns, if they're well-formed at all, and b) conversations tend to wander and "self" under one usage pattern is magically translated into another usage pattern, making the whole conversation into nonsense.

So, practicality demands we abandon the stupid word "self" entirely.  If you want to extend that practicality into your metaphysics, then so be it.  But the metaphysics is irrelevant because practically, there is no self.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ