[FRIAM] AI and argument

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:50:18 EDT 2017

Well, keeping people talking *can* be the problem.  And we don't really want to shut them up when they go off the rails.  Boring story: At a recent beer festival, a friend of mine was ranting about their neighbor and how _crazy_ she is, for any of a number of meanings of the word "crazy".  My friend has reached out to our government funded, volunteer-driven program: https://resolutionsnorthwest.org/community/neighborhood-mediation-2/.

During our conversation, however, me and my friend disagreed (fundamentally) on the differences between judges, arbitrators, mediators, and facilitators.  During the exchange, my friend committed https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority.  I tried to stop them by calling out the fallacy.  That didn't work.  They accused me of condescension. [sigh]  So, I asserted that I would counter-argue by *also* appealing to authority.  And it worked!  My friend acquiesced.  As usual, the meta-ness of the discussion (appealing to authority while arguing about methods of arguing) was lost on everyone.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ