[FRIAM] AI and argument

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 22:51:55 EDT 2017

Well, as a Peircean, I am certainly NOT allowed to believe that all valid logic is deductive, so Got Me There!

But to the extent that we were talking about logic, is not logic the formalization of good thought?  So, then, it behooves one who would claim that an argument is logic to formalize it. So, in which logical world (if not deductive logic) does the statement that Einstein is usually right lead directly, without an intervening premise, to the conclusion that I should provisionally believe him.  I think the argument IS deductive (in this case) and that the suppressed premise is that I should treat all people who are usually right provisionally as authorities.  (i.e., as people to be believed until contrary evidence teaches us otherwise. )

Nicholas S. Thompson