[FRIAM] on Feynman, again

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 19:02:30 EDT 2017

On 10/12/2017 03:25 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

>>   The Grandfather Of Alt-Science
>>   https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-grandfather-of-alt-science/
>
> Like upsides to global warming, perhaps there are benefits to the irrationality of scientists, like Robinson's and others'.
> It suggests that science is an activity or an algorithm, that can be conducted in parallel with arbitrary if closely-held beliefs.
> But I'm cynical.  I'm inclined to think the scientific method is just a weapon in the hands of a sufficiently wacko person to pummel the world into a form they think they can manage or profit from.   Better have more non-wacko people with the same skills to balance things out.   Sure, there is herd behavior in all kinds of people, even the science-policy elites in Washington.   Is there some harm being done by them other than to direct money in a worthy direction that happens not to be to him?   The contrarian needs to be clever to navigate these things and do more than complain.

I agree for the most part, especially given the false reification surrounding the scientific method.  Woo peddlers and conspiracy theorists rely on the real hermeneutical depth of real science as cover for their rhetoric.  The real benefit of thinking seriously about Robinson (or other pseudoscience like acupuncture, or even things like informal fallacies) is as a foil for learning what *to* do, from examples of what *not* to do.  If the Robinsons of the world were earnest failures, they'd be wholesome contributors to science.  But because they're deluded, blind to their failures, it is difficult to learn from them.

This post makes the argument nicely:

  The Case for Contrarianism
  http://quillette.com/2017/10/10/the-case-for-contrarianism/

from the post: