[FRIAM] Truth: “Hunh! What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!”

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Oct 15 11:41:52 EDT 2017

Without trying to make a strong point in support of either end of this
argument (as I understand it) but rather add some extra fodder.

What of examples of /convergent evolution/ where similar structures
(with similar form and function) appear to arise independently.   I
would not claim that they all arise **from the same theory** (or that
anything "arises" from theory) but rather that the same theoretical
abstractions around form/function and utility can be "reverse
engineered" or "discovered" or "recognized".

A common example is the multiple emergence of "camera-like" eyes in
cephalapods, vertebrates, and jellyfish.  An even more ubiquitous
example is Carbon Fixation via the C4 Photosynthetic Process (this
example comes from my research to try to keep up with Guerin's
dual-field/gradient babble in the domain of mitochondria/chloroplast
metabolic duality) which has apparently been "discovered" or "invented"
tens of times...

Platonists might believe in fundamental reality being in the domain of
"Abstract Theory" but I believe the opposite... that "Theory" is
entirely a construct of consciousness and is a "meta-pattern" which is
useful to consciousness for prediction and explanation but irrelevant to
the structures they describe/explain themselves.