[FRIAM] definition of "gaslighting"

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Oct 17 14:35:05 EDT 2017

The gas leak example rings true.   I don’t pay much attention to odors and am repeatedly alerted to the possibility that the furnace pilot light could be out.   But the pilot light is rarely out, and my task is to accept that there is a smell (which I cannot detect) but that it may have some other meaning.   It is not gaslighting to question that, although I do somethings get frustrated responses “Why are you questioning me??!!”  On one occasion, for example, it has turned out there was spoiled fruit on a high shelf.

Conversely, I struggle competing models of consequential social situations.    I sometimes dig far too deep into certain hypotheses and extend the evidence too far.   Sometimes if I share my detailed hypotheses (a.k.a. paranoia), I get a gentle or less-gentle “Are you __sure__?”   (Do the probabilities in my decision tree have too-large of standard deviations?)  Also not gaslighting.

Gaslighting is not just questioning perceptions or reasoning, it is the systematic denigration of every perception and argument or malicious purposes.   The Fake News thing is a form of gaslighting.

Marcus