[FRIAM] Truth: “Hunh! What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!”

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 18:53:10 EDT 2017

Well, to be clear, I think the idea of your sensor-web-effector individuals squirming in a machine is perfectly consistent with Peirce's conception of reality.  The disconnect lies in the extent to which that machine (in which the sensor-web-effector individuals squirm) is "fixed once and for all", as Feferman puts it.  Peirce's conception of reality seems to rely on that fixation, that definiteness, the one, fixed, master structure in which we all swim.  Feferman's observation that working mathematicians are at once Platonic, yet don't limit themselves to any single formalism, seems to argue from your perspective: that reality is not fixed, definite, and if a sensor-web-effector individual becomes fixated AS IF the reality in which it swims were fixed, then that limited delusion is what it calls "truth" (a truth, the truth, etc.).  Rosen would agree with you as well, by claiming that our mathematics, logic, and "inferential entailment" methods are impoverished when compared to reality ("causal entailment").

But it's important to look at Peirce's synoptic understanding of logic and math.  A good example is his existential graphs, which encompassed more than first order logic, including higher-order and modal logic.  My guess is Peirce would readily entertain ideas like Feferman's schematic axiomatic systems as a way to enrich our logics so as to handle the dynamism of working mathematicians, and perhaps that pointed out by you or Rosen.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ