[FRIAM] Opportunity to join a discussion about Charles Sanders Peirce

Robert Wall wallrobert7 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:57:36 EDT 2017

Hi Nick, Glen, Frank, et al.,

Here are some more burrs ... 😴

Included here are links to that discussion paper and the associated handout
I put together for that *Santa Fe Philosophical Society* session titled
*Purpose*.

Does The Universe have a Purpose
<http://files.meetup.com/119715/Does%20The%20Universe%20have%20a%20Purpose.pdf>
Does the Universe Have a Purpose - HANDOUT
<http://files.meetup.com/119715/Does%20the%20Universe%20Have%20a%20Purpose%20-%20HANDOUT.pdf>

I think it is a fun piece that indeed did lead to a very interesting
two-hour discussion in the style of a Socrates Cafe. All "burrs, are
volunteered and most welcomed in this forum. 😎

*Is Smolin’s thesis within easy reach, anywhere on the web?*

The gist of Smolin's Cosmological Natural Selection thesis can be
gleaned at these links:

*Scientific American*: The Logic and Beauty of Cosmological Natural
Selection
<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-logic-and-beauty-of-cosmological-natural-selection/>
(June 10, 2014).

*YouTube*: Lee Smolin: Cosmological Natural Selection (YouTube Geek Week!)
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYLTqvo774> (August 3, 2013). [3.5
minutes].

and more fully in his 1997 book The Life of the Cosmos
<https://www.amazon.com/Life-Cosmos-Lee-Smolin/dp/019510837X/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me=&dpID=41mIdNIlpAL&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=detail>
.

I find this theory of Smolin's the most compelling "Genesis story" we have
so far probably because of its appeal to the powerful Evolution paradigm at
the level of the cosmos.  As you will read, Smolin appears in my discussion
of Purpose ... explaining the *apparentness *of purpose (or design) in a
cosmological context seems like a natural extension from the biological
context.  Smolin does a decent job in explaining this extension, IMHO.

BTW, I also liked Smolin's 2013 book *Time Reborn*. It is a re-analysis of
Time in a way that channels Henri Bergson (links both criticism and praise
in this discussion about the book)
<https://social-epistemology.com/2013/06/06/world-enough-and-time-steve-fuller/>.
If you are not up on Henri Bergson, this short piece
<https://social-epistemology.com/2015/06/19/bergson-and-bergsonism-a-reply-to-riggio-melanie-white/>
would be an interesting primer in the context of Bergson's famous 1922
public debate with Albert Einstein on the concept of Time. After that
debate, the Science establishment kind of closed ranks against Bergson ...
until, perhaps, Lee Smolin took another look. This treatment is both
interesting and tragic for Bergson who was among the most respected natural
philosophers of his day. Alfred North Whitehead was influenced by Bergson
with his Process Philosophy
<https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-philosophy/> (that goes way
back to Greek theoretician Heraclitus of Ephesus--compare Parmenides of Elea
<https://philosophynow.org/issues/111/Reality_and_Stability_From_Parmenides_to_Einstein>
).

And for both thinkers [*Heraclitus and Parmenides*], the real was
accessible to reason because reality itself was rational. In seeking
reality we must, therefore, follow reason and ignore the testimony of our
senses. Mathematics is the most transparently reason-driven mode of
thought, and so we must follow the mathematics where it takes us. Hence the
(possibly apocryphal) sign over the entrance to Plato’s Academy: ‘Let
no-one ignorant of geometry enter here’.

Anyway, sorry for all the links. I can get carried away with this stuff. 😕

In the context of *information *being another physically fundamental entity
in the universe along with *energy *and *matter*, I brought up David Deutsch
<https://www.edge.org/video/constructor-theory>'s Constructor Theory
<https://aeon.co/essays/how-constructor-theory-solves-the-riddle-of-life> at
the FRIAM as a very recent contender to build a new physics based on this
uber-reductionist viewpoint. I haven't heard much more progress on this
over the last two years and I think Deutsch is relying on his postdoctoral
research associate, Chiara Marletto, to bring this into the domain of
biology.  Constructor Theory is to address this conclusion: "The conclusion
that the laws of physics must be tailored to produce biological adaptations
is amazingly erroneous."  So this theory would indeed compete with Smolin's
Cosmological Natural Selection Theory.  But, Constructor Theory might be
very much in line with Jeremy England's Physics Theory of Life
<https://www.quantamagazine.org/first-support-for-a-physics-theory-of-life-20170726/>
(Note: this is from *QuantaMagazine*, which we also discussed) and, perhaps
with Nobel-Prize-winning physical chemist Ilya Prigogine views derived from
the Second Law of Thermodynamics and self-organizing dissipative
structures.  Fun stuff to read about ...

Possible future "burr": Appealing to the idea of a wave function containing
complete information about a system, is information conserved [Copenhagen
interpretation of quantum mechanics] like energy and matter? 😎

I have not been up to speed on the Baldwin Effect in the context of
phenotypic plasticity, learning, or development phenomena (e.g., language)
... and niches. Can you suggest some readings?  It seems to ask the
question as to what leads what: Genes or phenotypes?  Do epigenetics come
into play here
<https://aeon.co/essays/the-selfish-gene-is-a-great-meme-too-bad-it-s-so-wrong>
 (this was heavily debated here
<https://aeon.co/essays/dead-or-alive-an-expert-roundtable-on-the-selfish-gene>
)?

Thanks,

Robert

P.S., Glen, yeah, that is the same Chris Goad!  He came here from Oregon
but apparently grew up here in Santa Fe.  I think his father was pretty
well known at LANL.