[FRIAM] death

gⅼеɳ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:53:00 EDT 2017

I used to argue with my parents (a lot) about whether or not humans were different from animals, mostly because my mom claimed animals don't have souls.  She's right, of course, because nobody has souls. 8^) But I think what it, ultimately devolves to is that humans come very close to universal constructors.  With the reflective layers of brain and opposable thumbs, we can do almost anything ... with the right resources, right context, etc.

So, at least in these arguments, it boiled down less to inherent worth (like depth of development) and more to productivity, but not the narrow productivity of, say, termites or such, but a wide productivity.  To be sure, my mom was more into embedded worth, whereas my dad was more "what have you done for us lately".  It was a good mix, though, because recessive traits can, eventually, come in critically handy.  (Perhaps that Trump voter knows how to play guitar or refine gasoline?)

In this (Christian?) context, animals like pigs and dogs are more like tools or articles of comfort than anything that deserves the Respect we give to humans.  It is and always has been a disgusting way to think, to me ... perhaps the best confirming evidence I was adopted and have none of their biology (barring some shared bacteria, I suppose).  Even if I take the arguments that, as earthly gods, we're obliged to be good "stewards" of the creatures we OWN, it's still repugnant.  I can't even claim to own the tree in our backyard, which the government would claim we own ... a tree that's prettier and way older than I am.

--
☣ gⅼеɳ