[FRIAM] death

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Mon Oct 30 16:52:00 EDT 2017

There's a funny post on Bunnie's blog today (
https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5018) about learning to use LiteX in
place of Vivado for FPGA design.  It's because Vivado wastes FPGA footprint
by rolling in circuits you don't need, because Vivado is given away for
free by Xilinx who would love you to step up to the next larger FPGA
anytime, so they have no incentive to optimize the footprint for you.  So
Bunnie is using LiteX which is a python high level design tool that outputs
low level designs for Vivado to assemble, so you can skip the Xilinx IP
with the non-optional bloat.

It seems that this sort of dead code, undead code, zombie code problem is
fairly ubiquitous in information processing systems.  No matter whose
system, there are always things around that don't go away because nobody
cared to do anything about them.  They always need a clean reboot
eventually, or a clean reinstall, or some kind of purge to clear the
inevitable cruft of just running too long.

So maybe AIs will have molting stages?  Or maybe dreaming is the way we
purge the cruft in our heads?

-- rec --