[FRIAM] The Atlantic article on "the illusion of reality"

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 23:38:29 EDT 2017

Nick wrote, "the idea of a real world outside experience is nonsense"

What does that say about areas of the universe or periods of the universe
that have no experiencing beings?

Also, we synchronize our experiences so that we can communicate. (And we
manage to do that reasonably well most of the time.) Is there any reason
that's even possible if there is no real world outside each person's
individual experience? (Or does this misrepresent what you have in mind?)

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 8:26 PM Nick Thompson <nickthompson at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Marcus,
>

> To be honest, I have never seen what philosophy has to do with quantum
> mechanics.  I agree with you that the idea of a real world outside
> experience is nonsense but I don’t see how QM gets you there.  Peirce held
> that all “objective” observation consist of guesses at what we all, the
> community of inquiry, will agree is real, after much discussion, in the
> very long run.  So it’s all experience, all the way down, except that
> “reality” is a sort of future experience.  No dualism allowed.
>

> Nick
>

> Nicholas S. Thompson
>
> Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology
>
> Clark University
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science