[FRIAM] The Atlantic article on "the illusion of reality"

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:30:58 EDT 2017

An easy way to agree with Hoffman and not get bent out of shape is to
acknowledge that anything we think involves something being constructed in
our heads. That construction is an idea -- or an emotion, or whatever other
modes of awareness we have. That seems to me to be tautological: we can
think or feel, etc. nothing but our thoughts, feelings, etc. As I said
that's a tautology. After all, when we see something and say, that's a dog,
we are converting whatever raw signals we encounter into an image and a
concept. We aren't talking about the raw signals. It's impossible for us to
be aware of the impact of, say, every photon on our retinas. (I'm assuming
it is impossible. Perhaps some people can do something like it.) Also, I'm
assuming there is a world that includes photons that we encounter.

So this position doesn't deny a world "out there." At the same time it
acknowledges that as living beings we have evolved means to make something
more useful to us than awareness of raw signals. After all, why have eyes
if all they do is give us the equivalent of a plane of pixels. That doesn't
tell us anything about friend/foe, nourishment/poison, etc. If our senses
weren't hooked up to internal processes that made something of them besides
the raw signals, evolution wouldn't have kept and perfected them.

So the simple answer is that Hoffman is right that we don't see "the world
as it is" but that doesn't mean there isn't a world as it is.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM gⅼеɳ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2017 06:56 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> >
> https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/the-illusion-of-reality/479559/?utm_source=atlfb
>
> We've discussed Hoffman's ideas before.  Lots of us played in that
> thread.  The FriAM archives are down, I think.  But here's the 1st post of
> the thread:

Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science