[FRIAM] The Atlantic article on "the illusion of reality"

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Wed Sep 20 13:09:16 EDT 2017

I find most of what Hoffman says sort of over generalized from over
simplifications.  If we perceived things solely according to their fitness,
then how do we perceive things which have multiple fitnesses, where
different aspects of fitness vary to different schedules, where
combinations of things have different fitnesses than the things met
independently, where some things imitate other things, and so on?  Perhaps
it works better if we perceive objects by physical properties and then
infer their fitness from context?

Then again, isn't fitness a bit of a magic wand to apply to these
discussions?  Yes, the fitness of an organism is sufficient if the
organism's descendants survive to reproductive age, but the steps in which
this survival rate is traced through all the intermediate stages of
causality to explain the exact mode of operation of all perceptual
mechanisms, don't his hands get tired waving around like that?

Fitness in this context reminds me of utility in economic arguments.  What
is it?  It's what is necessary to make these arguments work.

I did like the conscious agent algebra.  I was not impressed with the
discussion of "quantum systems", but that was supplied by the interviewer's
introduction.

-- rec --