[FRIAM] Doxastic logic - Wikipedia

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 17:20:59 EDT 2017

Thanks, Eric.  Great as always to hear from you.

One of the surest ways to avoid packing and winterizing a house is to make a dumb statement and then spend the next week defending it on a list-serv. I am not quite sure I am in that territory, yet, but I am entertaining doubts.

As a behaviorist, I have to concede that it is possible to act tentatively.  When I am meeting a dog for the first time, I extend the back of my hand into the danger zone near its muzzle, rather than putting out my hand confidently and stroking its neck, head, or flank.  This allows the dog a chance to smell my hand and me a chance to gauge its intentions.  Am I acting in doubt.  I guess it depends on what the proposition is.  If the proposition is that I am safe to reach out and pet the dog, I definitely doubt that.  If the proposition is that no dog is safe to touch on the first meeting, then my tentative behavior affirms that belief.

Peirce defined belief as that upon which we act and doubt as the absence of belief.  It follows logically that anything we act on affirms some belief and, therefore, at the moment of action, extinguishes all contrary beliefs.  If you follow me here, I may appear to win the argument, but only on sophistic points.

Allow me to go for a KO.  When you are interacting with humans, how exactly DO you decide what they believe?  What are the practices you would engage in to test the belief of somebody.  Can you imagine a test of some belief that would allow you to infer that I believe something even though my actions are inconsistent with that belief?  Would that be rational on your part, or just evidence of your Christian good nature?  Or your belief in a non-material mind?

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson