[FRIAM] looking for a word

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:42:01 EDT 2018

Bah!  If you are, as I am, a post-modernist, explanatory power reduces to evocative power.  Whatever I can do to evoke a predictable response in the audience is adequate.  Although I count myself a fan of Wittgenstein's STFU approach, I can't deny the power of those who just never STFU. (Witness the interminable chants at the various pro-this, anti-that rallies.)  It's a kind of hypnosis ... a droning on and on until you win over your audience with tone and rhythm more so than content.

But w.r.t. Zweigneiderlassung, I'm currently enthralled with McShea and Brandon's concept of the ZFEL and "pure complexity", which (in my ignorance) disallows reliance on "branching" as a core concept.  Simple counting seems more appropriate, especially since that makes sense to most people.  I admit that McShea and Brandon seem to be relying fundamentally on some implicit spatial sense.  But perhaps that's OK in this context?

--
☣ uǝlƃ