[FRIAM] looking for a word

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Aug 17 20:03:47 EDT 2018

Jessica Delacourt is not electable, but Ellen Ripley<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q>, well, she speaks to people.    ☺

On 8/17/18, 5:42 PM, "Friam on behalf of uǝlƃ ☣" <friam-bounces at redfish.com on behalf of gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

    That article paints a fantastic contrast between "speaking to" in an ungrounded state vs. "speaking to" in a grounded state.  When speaking to a collection of idealists, it's relatively trivial to sidetrack them into some region where their evocative triggers are "dog whistles".  But when speaking to a collection of skeptics, it's fairly difficult push them into an ungrounded region.

    But the problem is invariant: that of "speaking to".  Trump beat Clinton, hands down, on the "speaking to" front.  "Sophisticated" people, who are used to and comfortable with parsing the details of some complicated plan or infrastructure, tended to go with Clinton, whereas those of us who would prefer our representatives to speak in "poetry", allowing us to fill in the [whatever] details, went with Trump.

    A fundamental problem these days is "political stalking" and "viral memeing".  It's difficult to balance one's presentation to both the nerds and the consumers of poetry.  Obama does it fairly well.  Clinton did not.

    --

    ☣ uǝlƃ