[FRIAM] looking for a word

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 15:35:02 EDT 2018

Well, I did mention "plexus" in the very first post.  So, perhaps all the word needs is a champion!

Anastomosis seems to be more like a shunt around the type of networked structure we're talking about.  Or, at least, the etymology seems to talk about connecting two whole openings "make a hole"! 8^)

Reticulation is much more powerful, I think.  But, yes, it seems to target the leaves or the most-fractalized part of the network.  But that brings to mind: "matriculation" (from matrix) and "articulation", for whatever reason.  The branching being done by these systems is "matrixifying" ... splitting the dimensions from a low number to a high number (for efferent) and the reverse for afferent.

It's bizarre, really.  I'm reminded of Luc Steels' "language games", where the suggestion is that the root of language lies in the ability to _point_ at some concrete thing.  If you draw any one of these networks, I can draw an oval around the part I'm referring to and say "I'm talking about THAT part.  Not the other part over there.  THAT part."  (The part excluding the trunk of the tree, excluding the foliage, etc. ... just containing the part after branching begins and before the branching is complete.)  Like Steels' robots, I could make any random bleeping noise to name the part of the network at which I'm pointing and everyone would understand. [sigh]

--
☣ uǝlƃ