[FRIAM] looking for a word

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Aug 24 12:52:19 EDT 2018

Vladimyr -

Good to hear your voice here again...

/Rete Mirable/ (Latin: miraculous net) seems to be the term/concept *I*
was looking for here.

I don't know if it has the persuasive nature Glen is searching for, or
captures the full *diversity* of the interpenetrating "miraculous" nets,
but it is great to find out there is an extant working term for these
structures and the underlying processes supported.   I'm also happy to
hear of the term "counter-current exchange system" in place of my more
colloquial "reverse backflow system", though I was describing what is
known as a decanted system which therefore acted as a countercurrent
multiplier system.

It is impressive that the term goes all the way back to Galen.  Yogi
Berra said it best: "You can see a lot just by looking."

I sometimes think I need to add to my google fu technique doing a simple
rendition of the concept in question into Latin and then searching for a
few variations on the result.  I'm sure there is a Masters project in
Natural Language processing or Computational Linguistics out there which
has already implemented something like that?   I doubt I would have hit
on "miraculous" in this context but maybe a Latin scholar would know
intuitively that "mirable" was a likely adjective to be used in this
kind of situation?

- Steve