[FRIAM] two books (perhaps a bit more)

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sat Dec 1 10:09:20 EST 2018

I love atomic orbitals, I spent days plotting them out by hand on polar
graph paper when I first learned about them.

http://scarc.library.oregonstate.edu/coll/pauling/bond/ is an archive of
Linus Pauling papers.  Pauling figured out orbital hybridization over
1927-1931.  Slater figured it out at about the same time.  They submitted
papers within a month of each other that were both published in the spring
of 1931.  Scans of both papers are in the Pauling archive, and there's a
slightly breathless narrative that explains how Pauling's version came
about.  For a more systematic treatment, you could look at Pauling's
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications to Chemistry (thank you
Dover Books) first published in 1935.

-- rec --