[FRIAM] the Analemma

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 8 02:33:10 EST 2018

This came up after the service at the mother church, today.

http://www.analemma.com/pages/framespage.html

Being a late riser, and a darkness hater, I regard December 7 (the day after
St. Nicholas's Day, by the way) as the first sign of spring, because it is
the day that the afternoons start getting longer.  The shortest morning, by
the way, appears to occur on January 7, One of 3 days in the year when the
sun is at the Zenith at noon.  In other words, noon is moving away from
sunset faster that the setting sun is moving toward the horizon so the sun
starts arriving later on the clock.  Or something like that.  The way I put
it implies two standards of time measurement and I cannot think what the
second one is.

I would love to have this explained to me in Defrocked English Major Talk.
Also, we have at least one Friammer in the southern hemisphere.  Is the same
true there, Russ?

Nick