[FRIAM] The Friendship That Made Google Huge | The New Yorker

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Dec 8 23:44:30 EST 2018

I think it would depend on the project.    Debugging something that is very complex that fails in an unpredictable way can be demoralizing.   If experiments are expensive, other well-matched people could keep the ideas coming and either speed-up or slow-down the work as needed.   More people could also mean that short term memory was effectively extended.   Poorly-matched people would be a disaster – just breaking-up flow.   I think it makes absolutely no sense to compare two veteran developers who know and trust each other, and are the best at what they do, to some random project where a manager is floundering about trying to improve productivity by applying a gimmick he read about in a magazine.