[FRIAM] The Friendship That Made Google Huge | The New Yorker

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sun Dec 9 18:22:19 EST 2018

The "other guy" is Sanjay Ghemawat. Together they wrote MapReduce and have become legends. Unfortunately you hear much more about Jeff than about Sanjay. I would like to hear more from Sanjay.
I also doubt that pair programming is a solution for all problems. The really creative parts often happen if you work alone. Working in pairs can be helpful for intense  code reviews, if you get stuck or if you want to improve the code quality.
I found the hierarchy of developers described in the article interesting: "Google’s engineers exist in a Great Chain of Being that begins at Level 1. At the bottom are the I.T. support staff. Level 2s are fresh out of college; Level 3s often have master’s degrees. Getting to Level 4 takes several years, or a Ph.D. Most progression stops at Level 5. Level 6 engineers—the top ten per cent—are so capable that they could be said to be the reason a project succeeds; Level 7s are Level 6s with a long track record. Principal Engineers, the Level 8s, are associated with a major product or piece of infrastructure. Distinguished Engineers, the Level 9s, are spoken of with reverence. To become a Google Fellow, a Level 10, is to win an honor that will follow you for life. Google Fellows are usually the world’s leading experts in their fields. Jeff and Sanjay are Google Senior Fellows—the company’s first and only Level 11s"
-Jochen
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Russ Abbott <russ.abbott at gmail.com> Date: 12/9/18  05:25  (GMT+01:00) To: FRIAM <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Friendship That Made Google Huge | The New Yorker
What I found interesting was that they do so much of their work pair programming. I find it difficult to imagine writing software in that kind of relationship. I would guess that when I'm working on code, I spend no more than 25% of the time actually typing things on the keyboard. The rest of the time is thinking, or pacing, or getting tea, or looking things up, etc. I don't know how that would work as part of a pair. And yet they are among the best coders at Google. Jeff Dean is legendary for his work. And the other guy is supposed to be just as good. How can they do that while bound together? Hard for me to understand.