[FRIAM] 2019 - The end of Trumpism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Dec 26 17:43:54 EST 2018

David writes:

“And it would serve "the opposition" to get a clue about the fact that the vast majority of Trump supporters do not suffer from racism, sexism, 'genderism', "me-first-ism," etc. Instead recognize that their primary affliction is individualism - and even libertarian-ism (despite some obvious contradictions from the religious among them) - along with corollaries of "anti-government control-ism," "personal-responsibility-ism," and "my-values-are-just-as-valid-as-yours-ism."

The racism and sexism arise from the false supposition that personal responsibility is all that is required to thrive.   They fail to acknowledge that public policy can level the playing field and give everyone a fair chance to develop their own values and priorities for their life – to become individuals.     Trump supporters are not individualists, they are just people trying to recover privilege they didn’t earn and now see slipping away.   They are worse than conventional conservatives because they lack any moral center.    They want to see regressive norms because those are the only norms they can get their head around.

Marcus