[FRIAM] Abduction

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 27 19:12:47 EST 2018

Glen,

I thought the Century-Link outage was going to rescue me from my present quandary, which is that I am still working on your email from three days ago, while now you heap on more, each more interesting and pertinent than the one before.

So to THIS one I say only that to a Peircean, all relations are SIGN relations and all sign relations have there "arguments", or "operators" or "values" or whatever you smart people call it.  Every relation is seen from a point of view.   But that does not amount to solipsism because I can adopt your point of view and see what you see.  Only if there is NO point of view from which an onion is in layers does your point hold in Peirce-land.  Says I.  I should remind you, and everybody else, that my Peirce mentor, Mike Bybee, who has taught me everything I know about Peirce, routinely rejects every assertion I ever make about Peirce, even when I try, docilely to repeat whatever he has just said.  Peirce experts are a hard lot.

I reserve the right to deny everything I have written here when, in five year's time, I finally get done with answering your message of three days ago.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson