[FRIAM] strawman fallacy

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Dec 28 11:51:00 EST 2018

Glen writes:

< Such wilting rhetoric makes an actual individualist like the Unabomber seem more upstanding and trustworthy ... and that inference is just plain dangerous. >

He gave a coherent description of this aspect of the individualist psychology and a need for dignity above all else.   It's a self-indulgent mental weakness, and one that can be broken with some effort.  Unfortunately, it isn't broken for people who live in  monocultures, as exists in many small towns in the U.S. flyover states.   These folks aren't forced to confront social complexity or even technological complexity.   The only way to get away from that complexity is to go live in a cabin in Montana.   To have that kind of "personal responsibility" means finding an environment where it makes sense.   Such environments will be reducing in number as the population increases.   It's a similar kind of thinking behind economic isolationism.   It drives down complexity, which is really what frightens the individualist that David describes:  Not knowing what to do or how to do it.

Marcus