[FRIAM] 2019 - The end of Trumpism

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sat Dec 29 08:31:03 EST 2018

Steve,

I wonder if there is a game theory problem to be worked on here.

Referring to your statement:

>> Arrow's Impossibility is real but no more significant IMO than the real-world ambiguities and paradoxes introduced by practical realities such as voter suppression and fraud, system hacking and mechanical errors (e.g. hanging chads)…

The Impossibility Theorem has the character of a case-existence proof: for any algorithm, there is a case of voter preferences for which that algorithm produces an unwanted outcome.  In the sense of only counting cases, it reminds me of no-free-lunch theorems: for any algorithm that is fast to solve one problem of combinatorial search, there is some other problem for which it is slow.  However, the NFL _threorem_ — that no algorithm is any better than any other — depends on an appropriately symmetric search space and a suitable associated uniform measure over problems on that space.  If search and optimization are embedded in a larger dynamic where correlation between algorithms is allowed, there can be global better or worse approaches.  I don’t (as in every other area) have details and references ready in memory, but David Wolpert wrote some of his later papers on NFL addressing the ways it ceases to apply under changed assumptions.

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of Arrow Impossibility in a context of a kind of ecosystem of adversaries.  To game any algorithm, crucially with the outcome that not only _some_ voter is handled poorly, but that _a sufficiently large pool_ of voters is handled poorly that the algorithm is not best, requires arranging the preference case that violates the algorithm for suitably many voters.  Is this coordination problem harder for some preference-orders than for others?  Is there something akin to “canalization” in evolutionary biology, where some algorithms live further from the boundary of being collectively tipped into producing the wrong outcome than others?  Thus, are there measures of robustness for statistical violation of algorithms based on what happens in most cases rather than what happens in the worst case, as there are for spin-glass phase transition problems?

Another thing it seems unlikely I will ever put time into being serious about.  Or maybe there is already a large standing literature that claims to have addressed this.

Eric