[FRIAM] 2019 - The end of Trumpism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Dec 29 13:45:52 EST 2018

Owen writes:

"The NFL paper certainly gave me some doubts but it seemed amazing how effective GA's, Ant Algorithms, and so on were .. at least in their own domain."

GA's are not an effective way to solve NP-hard, high-dimensional constrained optimization problems (> 1000 variables).  Problems like distribution of shared resources.  For that you need algorithms designed to do it and a lot of brute force (see SCIP, CPLEX, etc).   In public and private organizations we see dimensional reduction by introduction of hierarchy.  Individualists (sic) pretend the shared resources aren't finite or think by taking as much ground as they can they can better control the shared resource -- that their hierarchy is the best one.

Marcus