[FRIAM] Abduction

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 15:59:39 EST 2018

Hi, Everybody,

I am having WAY too much fun, here, and should pull back.  Before I do, just a word of caution.  I always forget that Peirce's definition is an asserting of the meaning of Truth and Real, not an assertion of their existence.  These definitions flow from the pragmatic maxim, which is

Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our conception of these effects is the whole of our conception of the object.

So what effects to we conceive a truth to have:  It would be that in the very long run, the community of inquiry will in the very long run, in asymptote-time, agree on it.   That, Peirce argues, is all we can mean by True.

Notice that nothing at all could ever be true, and this definition could still represent what we mean by true.  So Glen and Peirce may agree after all.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson