[FRIAM] Abduction

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Dec 31 17:50:31 EST 2018

"The question I'm now worried about is the facility/frequency with which cyclic graphs can be "simulated" by DAGs (which is why I implied that everywhere we think there might be a convergence to something "real" would require a monotonic parameter)"

Uh, why?  For example, compilation of a recursive function to a control flow graph.

mdaniels at m2:~$ cat t.c
#include <stdbool.h>

int foo(bool flag) {
  if (flag) foo(false);
  else return 0;
}
mdaniels at m2:~$ gcc -fdump-tree-cfg -c t.c
mdaniels at m2:~$ cat t.c.011t.cfg

;; Function foo (foo, funcdef_no=0, decl_uid=1956, cgraph_uid=0, symbol_order=0)

;; 1 loops found
;;
;; Loop 0
;;  header 0, latch 1
;;  depth 0, outer -1
;;  nodes: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
;; 2 succs { 3 4 }
;; 3 succs { 5 }
;; 4 succs { 6 }
;; 5 succs { 1 }
;; 6 succs { 1 }
foo (_Bool flag)
{
  int D.1962;

  <bb 2> :
  if (flag != 0)
    goto <bb 3>; [INV]
  else
    goto <bb 4>; [INV]

  <bb 3> :
  foo (0);
  goto <bb 5>; [INV]

  <bb 4> :
  D.1962 = 0;
  // predicted unlikely by early return (on trees) predictor.
  goto <bb 6>; [INV]

  <bb 5> :
  return;

  <bb 6> :