[FRIAM] the pseudoscience of evolutionary psychology?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 23:56:38 EST 2018

Glen,

So we are going to have to look out for our notions of causality as sources of confusion in the future because my notion of cause is:

An C is a cause of an effect, E, if, and only if C and E are classes of events, and

Class C events occur before and contiguously (for Immediate causes) to Class E events,      and

The occurrence of Class C events is statistically associated with an increase in the relative frequency of the occurrence of Class E events.

Some consequences of this formulation are:

1.       Simultaneous events (such as amygdala excitation and anger) canNOT be causes of one another.

2.       The notion of cause and effect as we deploy it in ordinary language is a category error.  No single event can ever said to be either a cause or an effect of another single event.

3.       The very notion of causality as applied to ANY historical science – history, evolution, history of the universe, etc., is placed in question.   I don’t know where that argument comes out.  I would like to be able to say things like , “The physical and behavioral dimorphisms observed in the human species are to some degree the result of differential selection upon the two sexes,” but I am not sure how I can.

Nick

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson