[FRIAM] City University of Santa Fe

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jan 6 20:12:12 EST 2018

Eric-

Thanks for the throwdown on this one.   I was also not aware of this
effort specifically but it underscores the point I was (still probably
am) so poorly failing to make.  There is a plenitude of new modes of
interaction, research, and scholarship emerging (primarily) because of
increased access to global communication (including travel).   TED talks
and Kahn Academy and MOOCs galore, for example.  Of course none of this
replaces in-person, visceral, face-to-face interaction, nor the unique
experiences that *place* offers to shape the arc of the discussion, the
collaboration, the perspective.

I didn't look hard, but I didn't see an obvious way for this Institute
to instantiate en-situ groups as I *think* Nick (and many of us?) would
like to see.  Perhaps this is an example of what I have been ranting
on... maybe we have to let that go?  It seems hard to consider becoming
entirely delocalized.

Specific to the Ronin Institute, I applaud their somewhat
anti-establishmentarian rhetoric, focused unsurprisingly by the idea of
the Japanese fuedal period Ronin... a trained/practiced Samurai without
a master.   At SFx, we talked more than a little about the
Master/Journeyman/Apprentice roles and the clear value of the
traditional goals of the Journeyman... as we talked about it I think, a
"Journeyman" was required to "take his show on the road" for a number of
years... to go forth with virtually no resources... and not allowed to
remain "close to home", requiring him (or her one would wish) to expand
one's experiences, to avoid "academic inbreeding" as it were, to make
new connections, to cross fertilize, to interbreed, etc.   All this a
pre-requisite to becoming a master.  Not the same as a Ronin, of course,
but sharing the ideal of being "a wanderer".

LANL's extensive technical library *used to* offer as a perq to the
public, full access to their (unclassified) stacks as well as their
online access (in place) to anyone brave (or dedicated) enough do drive
up there and go into their facility and ask for access.  It may still be
the case, but with Bechtel in charge, maybe not so much?  When I let my
own "visiting scientist" role lapse at LANL, implicit access to
(virtually?) any journal was the one thing I suspected I was going to
miss.   For those who have never had much if any institutional
affiliation, what might seem like a fundamental "right" to those with
the access that comes with an institutional "master" kinda looks like a
dirty trick to the rest of us.

I assume your (Nick's) reference to journal access is to the
http://unpaywall.org/ links?  LANL (Paul Ginsparg) pioneered the use of
WWW for open access to journal articles via the xxx.lanl.gov "physics
preprint" server (with an FTP and Gopher server predating that by a
couple of years).   I don't know the full implication or utility of the
subsequent arXiv.org system but in principle it feels like the "perfect"
workaround for the Journal system. I think Grigori Perleman's example
(publishing two deeply pivotal papers in mathematics *without* a
peer-review journal/process) is significant.  I'm surprised it didn't
revolutionize academia and publication more than it did.  Is it inertia
or something more fundamental?

I sometimes believe that fundamental change in human institutions (and
experience) is roughly bound to the scale of a generation... how many
paradigms can a single generation shift through?   What is the current
fundamental time-scale of techno-social change in our culture today?  Is
the disruption in our culture somehow part of an (important) annealing
process?

mumble,

  - Steve