[FRIAM] What's so bad about Scientism?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 23:37:38 EDT 2018

Glen,

There is another solution to suicidal skepticism which Is to embrace scientism but broaden the definition of science.  This, I think, is CSPeirce's way.  We define good thought as any thought that will, in the fullness of time ... the very, very fullness of time .. be agreed upon.  Good thought is thought that, once and for all, assuages doubt.  By doubt, here, I don't mean entertained doubt.  I mean doubt sufficiently profound that one cannot, when one needs to, pursue any course of action.  REAL doubt.  Paralyzing doubt.

Now, science is defined as that method, that will be agreed, in the very long run to produce good thinking.

Notice that this way out of the scientism debate concedes that a value lies at the bottom of scientismicists’  affection for science ... the assuaging of REAL doubt.

Therefore, I stipulate that anybody who embraces REAL doubt as a way of life is NOT going to be happy with this solution.

Nick

PS to Glen:  The seas seem to have stopped pitching for a bit.

Nicholas S. Thompson