[FRIAM] What's so bad about Scientism?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Jul 11 00:09:28 EDT 2018

If one is ignorant and wants to learn if an action can change things, then flip the coin, take the action and take notes.
One should also look for a similar situation in which one does not take an action in order to compare and contrast.   And repeat both as many times as is feasible to collect statistics.

In the two cases you mention, it is not really feasible to do that.   So, one simulates:   What if Russia does not see a demonstration of U.S. might?   What if the Justice department or my [Comey’s] career takes a hit in credibility in order to save the country from a madman?     The right answer is a function of the values of the person in that situation.   So, a second order question then is, “What if people find out my values?”

There is inherent ambiguity in the information that inform most decisions and it is impossible to really foresee or quantify the consequences of action (e.g. chaos theory), so it is safe to say doubt ought to permeate every decision.   It could be that all of these decisions are playing out in the multiverse or that there is precisely one path we are all on that is fully determined and that choice is just a ridiculous illusion anyway.

Marcus