[FRIAM] Subject: Re: Friam Digest, Vol 180, Issue 3

Robert Wall wallrobert7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:43:42 EDT 2018

> It seems silly to say that one would democratize elite bicycle racing.

This reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut's satirical and dystopian science-fiction
short story *Harrison Bergeron
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron>* (1961).  😊  Full text
<http://wordfight.org/bnw/bnw-unit_packet.pdf> (20 pages).

Remember that Oracle acquired MySQL.  It is now a free product (likely with
no meaningful updates, not sure) but with an option to upgrade to supported
Oracle extensions at a premium.  Hopefully, PostgreSQL, which can compete
with Oracle, will remain open.   ESRI accommodates PostgreSQL for
geodatabases. I always appreciated that along with their replacing Visual
Basic scripting with Python.  Anywho ...