[FRIAM] Hywel

Dean Gerber pd_gerber at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 14:29:56 EDT 2018

 Hi Frank,
That is very sad news indeed.  Sadder yet his isolation toward the end, away from people who might have cared for him and enjoyed his company, even in a facility.  I enjoyed those years when we met with him, and tried to get him to understand or even sympathize a little with the mathematical point. of view.  No luck there, but I found the challenge very interesting, as an applied mathematician would of a brilliant and cantankerous old experimental physicist.  A Welshman to boot, he loved Dylan Thomas, and could recite him at length with the same brogue.
In the end his angry and insulting out bursts became too much for what I was getting out the experience, considering what I was getting from others.  I always admired you patience with him.  I bet tennis helped!
Thanks for letting me know. Please inform me of any memorial or some such.
Regards ...
Dean