[FRIAM] Fire Stick

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:24:04 EST 2018

Because this forum is supposed to be about complexity in some sense, I'll posit that the only reason Amazon doesn't suck (now) is because there is a diversity of providers.  If we all choose as you have, and centralize into a monopoly, then Amazon will (soon) suck.

But more practically, Amazon Video totally sucks at recommending movies or shows that I will like.  Netflix does a much better job.  The other providers don't do it at all. (Well, maybe Hulu does, but they objected to me running a Tor node, so fsck them.) And Bandcamp and Spotify trounce Amazon digital music.  My guess is that you're, like most of us, following the gradient of adequacy.  Amazon is adequate at *everything*, which makes them a safe bet for any arbitrary thing.  It's no small feat.  It's superceded Walmart.  It's superceding high-end posers like Whole Foods.  Etc.  So, if you enjoy the convenience of buying your motor oil in the same place as your lettuce, then more power to you.  I admit that when Renee' goes on a trip with me, it's better to stay at a chain hotel like Holiday Inn than it is to seek out interesting places.  She's not as fond of diversity as I am. 8^)  The risk is not worth the reward.

It's a shame we *wait* until the monopoly obtains before we begin to mitigate its mediocrity.

--
☣ uǝlƃ