[FRIAM] abduction/induction confusion

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:03:00 EDT 2018

This isn't intended to be part of the digestion of "What Pragmatism Is". So, I'm using the decades-old, standard, way of citing previous text:

On 03/25/2018 10:22 AM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> By the way, I think I finally realized how Pierce came to confuse abduction and induction in his later years.   In fact, not sure the distinction passes the pragmatic maxim.  Sad day [for me].

That's intriguing!  Perhaps you'll submit examples of his words where he doesn't confuse them, then where he does confuse them?  And when you say maybe the distinction isn't pragmatic, do you mean to say the early Peirce distinction?  Or do you mean any of it ... the way the terms are now used in studies of inference (by modern authors)?  That last question is important to me both personally and professionally.

--
☣ uǝlƃ