[FRIAM] Peirce's "What Pragmatism is."

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:49:33 EDT 2018

Number of interactions shouldn't determine whether it is tight or loose,
should it?

My behavior could be tightly coupled to a thing rarely encountered, and
loosely coupled to things commonly encountered, couldn't it? For example,
my standing could be tightly coupled to the rank of the person who just
walked in the room, even if there is almost never a person of sufficient
rank to generate the response. In contrast, my use of foul language is only
loosely coupled to the sensibilities of those around me, though I am around
people with various sensibilities quite often.

To take behavior out of it for a second: The melting of steel is tightly
coupled to temperature, but the conditions under which the melting occurs
are rarely encountered on the earth's surface. In contrast, during many
points in human history the functional quality of ancient blades was only
loosely coupled to the quality of the blacksmith, because it was much more
tightly coupled with the quality of the ore. The number of interactions
isn't really what's relevant.

To return to the floor... the tightness is in the definitive and
unhesitating nature of the interaction. The look of someone who wonders if
the floor is there, and the non-committal nature of their feet going down
is what is contrasted with the committed action of the person who believes
the floor is there. You can, if you want, translate the psychological
language of "committed" with the dynamic-systems language of "tightly
coupled."

For fresher example: The behavior of an expert dart thrower is tightly
coupled to the state of the game and the scores on the target, while the
behavior of an amateur dart thrower is not. And that is true even if the
expert is resting on laurels and rarely practices, while the amateur is
obsessed and practices constantly.

For another: A professional poker-tournament player's level of aggression
is tightly coupled to the phase of the tournament, the relative size of his
chip stack, and his position at the table. That is what it means to say
that the professional tournament player "believes" that varying betting
based on those factors is important to good play. The casual player does
not believe those are all important, as one can see by the loose coupling
of his behavior to those factors. Once again, rate of action or number of
actions isn't really what is at play.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps