[FRIAM] gerrymandering algorithm question

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 18:14:04 EDT 2018

Oh, I absolutely agree that we could design districts to maximize any variable we wanted.  And with a little luck, we might maximize a couple, or even three.  But inevitably, we will encounter some variable that is negatively correlated with those we already maximize, so even we philosopher kings will be dissatisfied with the result.

So, you philosopher-kings out there:  if you were designing districts out there, how would you do it.  How about all districts at-large?  Ranked choice voting?  How about requiring all districts to match the state-wide political distribution of the whole state and redistricting after every election?  Seriously.  How would you do it?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/