[FRIAM] Formalizing the concept of design

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Wed Nov 7 00:02:54 EST 2018

Thanks, Eric!

Eric writes:

> I think of the two (principle of least action (PoLA) and natural selection
> (NS)) in completely decoupled thoughts.

Yes, but can they both be understood as "selection" principles?

with PoLA as a "selection principle" in this sense:

The principle of least action is the basic variational principle of
particle and continuum systems. In Hamilton's formulation, a true dynamical
trajectory of a system between an initial and final configuration in a
specified time is found by imagining all possible trajectories that the
system could conceivably take, computing the action (a functional of the
trajectory) for each of these trajectories, and *selecting* one that makes
the action locally stationary (traditionally called "least"). True
trajectories are those that have least action.
 Scholarpedia
<http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Principle_of_least_action> (
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Principle_of_least_action)

For now, not wanting to get hung up on technical use of principle vs law or
theory nor that NS has more mechanism/algorithm defined in its principle
than PoLA.

If you're cool with PoLA as a selection principle, I have a follow up email
question.

-Stephen