[FRIAM] Pondering the slang Adulting

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Nov 14 16:50:24 EST 2018

I don't have an opinion on Usefulness, other than that it may be difficult to apply the outcome of such a simulation.
Imagine you invent a great way to play the market, but it depends on having low transaction costs and low latency.   If you aren't able to sneak your way into the exchange, it just won't matter how clever your idea is.

At some point it is better to be able manipulate & observe a real system rather than experiment with a model that can't be validated.    Role play seems an attractive modeling approach because it is a sort of practice for engaging in the real system, should there be an opportunity to get a foot in the door and engage with it -- emphasis on street smart rather than book smart.

On 11/14/18, 2:37 PM, "Friam on behalf of glen" <friam-bounces at redfish.com on behalf of gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

    OK. So, there exist gradations of role-play. But is, say, undercover work by cops any more useful than, say, karaoke? Or, taken to the extreme, is it any more useful than watching a movie about Batman and feeling jealous of the toys? "Usefulness" relies on some teleology that isn't always obvious. I'd argue that fantasy is merely another way to reason analogously ... a form of simulation, which helps us weigh our options and make rational decisions. Adulting is no different than simulated annealing.

    --
    glen