[FRIAM] two books

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 28 12:25:32 EST 2018

I just finished reading What is Real? by Adam Becker. A straightforward discussion of Quantum Physics and the "Copenhagen Interpretation," and the arguments surrounding it. it offers an indirect but scathing study of how science is really done and how far the practice of science is from the ideal of a "scientific method." Also an interesting discussion of the relationship between 'science' and 'phi8losophy'. Might be of interest to several FRIAMers.

Starting to read Roger Penrose's, The Road to Reality: a complete guide tot he laws of the universe. I would really like some advice / comments from the mathematicians in the community as to the value of the book and the likely hood that I might gain sufficient understanding of manifolds, symmetry groups, etc. etc. to understand some of the conversations on the list and at the mother church.

dave west