[FRIAM] Advice on configuring computers

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Wed Oct 10 11:25:41 EDT 2018

My guess is that your 460 GB drive is a spinning hard drive, and that
the new computer has a solid state drive (SSD). This is a *good* thing
since the SSD drives are much faster. The prices on Amazon for 1TB
drives are around $50 and the 2TB drives are close. My suggestion is to
get the new computer, add a relatively humongous hard drive with a USB 3
connection, and make some decisions about what you want almost instantly
available, and what is merely almost instantly available.

Better yet, buy two hard drives and start backing up regularly (there
are programs to make that automatic).

--Barry